…GENEVA, SWITZERLAND!! I am extremely excited about it and can’t wait to get there. Scroll down for 40 Fun Facts about Switzerland, and you’ll understand why. 🙂
40 Fun Facts about Switzerland from SeriousFacts.com:
1. Switzerland was originally called Helvetia.
2. The official name of Switzerland is Confoederatio Helvetica in Latin [hence Swiss webpages end in .ch].
3. Switzerland produces the most chocolate in the world.
4. The Swiss eat more chocolate compared to any other country.
5. The total area of Switzerland is 41,277 sq km. [15,937 sq mi.)
6. Switzerland is the only country that has a square flag.
7. Switzerland has more than 1,500 lakes.
8. Switzerland’s highest point is the Dufour Peak at 15,199 feet height.
9. Swiss chocolate makers Henri ‘Nestle’ and ‘Daniel Peter’ invented milk chocolate.
10. Teaching in Switzerland is one of the uppermost paid professions.
11. They have four official languages: French, Italian, Romansch, and German.
12. Jean-Henri Dunant, a Swiss businessman and the founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross, received the very first Nobel Peace Prize in 1901.
13. Switzerland is one of the world’s leading exporters of chocolate.
14. The capital of Switzerland is Bern.
15. Their largest city is Zurich.
16. Albert Hoffman, a Swiss chemist took the first acid trip in 1943.
17. Most of the world’s luxury watches are produced in Switzerland like Tissot, TAG Heuer, Rolex, and Patek Philippe.
18. Snowboarding, skiing, and mountaineering are popular sports in Switzerland.
19. Assisted suicide in Switzerland is legal.
20. Nescafe, the world’s first instant coffee, was invented in Switzerland.
21. Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web in Switzerland in 1989.
22. Switzerland’s Sonnenberg Tunnel is the largest nuclear shelter in the world.
23. Patek Philippe of Switzerland invented the wristwatch in 1868.
24. August 1st is Switzerland’s Independence Day.
25. 60% of the country’s electricity comes from a hydroelectric power source.
26. In Switzerland, bank tellers are secured by bulletproof glass.
27. Switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.
28. In case of a nuclear war, Switzerland has enough bunkers to house their entire population.
29. Switzerland’s lowest elevation is the town of Ascona at 643 feet.
30. Globi, a Swiss cartoon character, is one of the most popular characters in Switzerland.
31. Rivella is the most famous and favorite drink in Switzerland.
32. Rosti is one of Switzerland’s popular dishes.
33. The world’s smallest toolbox, the Swiss Army Knife, was invented by Karl Elsener.
34. Albert Einstein invented the famous equation E = mc2 while he was in Switzerland.
35. Most Indian films are shot in Switzerland. [I had to Google this one…but apparently it’s true!]
36. Charlie Chaplin spent the last 25 years of his life in Switzerland.
37. The first waterproof watch was invented by Rolex.
38. Switzerland is the only country to build an airplane that is powered by solar energy.
39. To apply for Swiss citizenship, you have to live in Switzerland for at least 12 years.
40. Switzerland accidentally invaded its neighbor Liechtenstein in 2007. 🙂